The World Cup group stage has come to an finish after many shocks and a few main nations flopping. Listed below are among the finest stats from the 48 matches that may happen in Qatar.
1) Of their sixth World Cup look, Tunisia beat a European workforce for the primary time: world champions France on matchday three. This was the African nation’s finest World Cup since their first in 1978, however they nonetheless didn’t qualify for the final 16 for the primary time due to Australia’s 1-0 win in opposition to Denmark. Their earlier report in opposition to European opposition was 0-4-7. The loss was additionally France’s first on the World Cup since their 1-0 loss to Germany within the quarter-finals eight years in the past.
2) On day two of the event, England’s Bukayo Saka (21 years, 77 days) turned the youngest participant to attain two or extra objectives on his World Cup debut since Franz Beckenbauer in 1966 (20 years, 304 days).
3) Gavi turned the youngest Spaniard to play in a World Cup and marked the event by turning into their youngest goalscorer (beforehand held by Cesc Fabregas). This got here throughout Spain’s 7-0 demolition of Costa Rica. Oh, and Gavi’s objective made him the youngest goalscorer on the World Cup since Pele for Brazil in 1958 and the third youngest of all time, behind Pele and Mexico’s Manuel Rosas.
4) This event was solely the third time a single debutant (Qatar) participated, and the primary time the lone workforce made their first World Cup look because the host nation.
5) Brazil continued their superb report of enjoying at each World Cup and by no means didn’t get out of their group. With their 1-0 win in opposition to Switzerland, Tite’s workforce set the report for the longest unbeaten run within the group stage with 17. Cameroon ended it on the ultimate group stage matchday, turning into the primary African workforce to beat Brazil at a World Cup.
6) Excluding penalties, Ghana turned the primary nation to overlook two penalties in opposition to the identical opponent since knowledge assortment started on the males’s World Cup in 1966. Asamoah Gyan’s miss 12 years in the past was heartbreaking, and Andre Ayew’s miss this yr was simply irritating. What a horrible run up and punishment that was.
READ LATER: At the very least Ghana can drink Suarez tears on a bitter day sweetened by Son and South Korea
7) Ghana’s Inaki Williams and Spain’s Nico Williams made event historical past on November 24 once they turned the primary full siblings to play for various nations at a World Cup. Kevin-Prince and Jerome Boating performed in opposition to one another in 2010, however they solely share the identical father.
8) 4 goalless attracts on matchday one meant that for the primary time ever eight groups performed their opening match 0-0 in the identical World Cup.
9) Stephanie Frappart turned the primary girl to referee a males’s World Cup match when Germany took on Costa Rica.
10) Belgium’s unconvincing win in opposition to Canada on matchday one set the report for many straight wins within the competitors’s group stage (8). Sadly for them, they misplaced their subsequent match and drew their final to crash out. Others on this planet? You snicker.
11) Cristiano Ronaldo has additional enhanced his legacy in Qatar with some respectable data. Together with Argentine famous person Lionel Messi and Mexican midfielder Andres Guardado, the 37-year-old joined an elite group of gamers to play at 5 World Cups. He additionally turned the primary participant to attain in 5 separate World Cup tournaments and the oldest participant to attain for Portugal within the World Cup.
12) My favourite stat of the event although is that Ronaldo turned the second participant to captain a rustic on the World Cup with out being connected to a membership workforce. The opposite was Bruce Wilson for Canada in 1986.
13) Enner Valencia joined Portuguese legend Eusebio, Italy’s Paolo Rossi and Russia’s Oleg Salenko in scoring essentially the most consecutive World Cup objectives for one nation with six. He failed to attain within the Senegal defeat, with Moises Caicedo netting for the South Individuals.
14) One of the vital profitable groups within the historical past of the event, Germany didn’t win both of their first two matches at a World Cup for the primary time since 1938 and didn’t qualify for the final sixteen for the second consecutive event for the primary time ever.
15) That is the primary World Cup in its present 32-team format the place nobody has received all three group stage matches. There have been three groups 4 years in the past, 4 in 2014, two in 2010, 4 in 2006 and two in 2002 and 1998.
16) Japan clearly had a recreation plan, and it clearly labored. No marvel they could not beat Costa Rica; they really needed to take the initiative. Since detailed data started in 1966, solely twice has a workforce tried 700+ passes and didn’t win. First time? Germany v Japan 2022. Second time? Spain v Japan every week later. They really had 17.7% of the ball in opposition to Spain – the bottom possession a profitable workforce has had in a World Cup victory.
READ LATER: You may by no means imagine why FIFA allowed Japan’s controversial profitable objective in opposition to Spain
17) Talking of Messi, he turned the oldest participant (35 years, 155 days) to attain and help in a World Cup match; he already holds the report for the youngest participant (18 years, 357 days) to do the very same factor. Shocking.
18) Croatia turned the second workforce this century to have a number of goalless attracts of their group and nonetheless progress to the final sixteen. The opposite workforce? Portugal 2010.
19) Throughout Germany’s win over Costa Rica, wonderkid Jamal Musiala efficiently accomplished 13 dribbles. It’s the second most that has been registered in a World Cup match. What a star. However he needs he declared for England.
20) Two for the value of 1 right here. Dani Alves’ efficiency in opposition to Cameroon made him the oldest Brazil participant within the showpiece event. Olivier Giroud broke that report on matchday one in opposition to Australia, after which once more in opposition to Denmark, and can break it once more if he performs Poland within the spherical of 16. His objective in opposition to Australia apparently made him France’s oldest goalscorer in a World Cup as effectively.
#World #Cup #high #stats #info #data #damaged #group #stage