Hosts Qatar have been knocked out simply two video games into the World Cup after a 3-1 loss to Senegal on the Al Thumama Stadium.
Qatar are rooted to the underside of Group A with a sport to play and have become the primary staff to be knocked out of the competitors after the Netherlands prevented defeat in opposition to Ecuador afterward Friday.
Boulaye Dia (41) and Famara Diedhiou (48) struck both facet of half-time to place Senegal in management as they set about responding to their opening-night defeat to the Netherlands.
Mohammed Muntari pulled one again (78) with a historic first aim in a World Cup play-off for Qatar, however the hosts’ unlikely comeback lasted simply six minutes as Ahmadou Dieng restored Senegal’s two-goal lead (84).
Massive moments within the sport…
- 33 min: Qatar’s penalty appeals are ignored after Akram Afif is bundled over by Ismaila Sarr
- 40 min: Boulaye Dia put Senegal in entrance after Boualem Khoukhi’s defensive error
- 48 min: Famara Diedhiou’s angled header close to the put up doubled Senegal’s lead
- 62 min: Almoez Ali registers Qatar’s first shot heading in the right direction within the World Cup however Edouard Mendy saves
- 67 min: Ismael Mohammed forces a surprise save from Edouard Mendy
- 78 min: Mohammed Muntari pulls again with Qatar’s first ever World Cup aim
- 84 min: Ahmadou Dieng restores Senegal’s lead
Senegal leaves hosts Qatar out of their very own social gathering
After a World Cup debut to neglect in opposition to Ecuador, Qatar’s enchancment in opposition to Senegal was seen, though they lacked an attacking risk in a one-sided first half.
The hosts felt they need to have been awarded a penalty when Akram Afif was introduced down by Ismaila Sarr within the space, however the appeals had been ignored by referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz.
Qatar had been inside 4 minutes of reaching the interval on degree phrases when Senegal took the lead, Dia pouncing on Boualem Khoukhi’s defensive error to rifle house the opener on the close to put up.
Senegal doubled their lead inside three minutes of the restart when Diedhiou brilliantly headed in from a nook to all however condemn Qatar to elimination.
However the hosts stirred beautifully to register their first two makes an attempt on aim at this World Cup as Edouard Mendy pulled off two fantastic saves to disclaim Almoez Ali and Ismail Mohamad within the area of 5 minutes.
The Qatari strain ultimately instructed 12 minutes from time when Muntari rose excessive and beautifully headed house his nation’s first aim within the World Cup finals, however the celebrations had been short-lived, with Dieng restoring Senegal’s two-goal cushion from 12 yards to go away the hosts watching an early output.
Sanchez: Qatar shouldn’t be labeled a failure
Qatar head coach Felix Sanchez stated his staff shouldn’t be labeled a “failure and disappointment” after they misplaced their second group stage match, a outcome that places the World Cup hosts getting ready to elimination from the event.
“I believe we performed a great sport,” mirrored Sanchez. “While you come right here, it’s a must to know the place you are coming from. If it is a failure and a disappointment, it is due to expectations.
“Our aim was to be aggressive… We’ve labored for therefore many months to have the ability to carry out properly. However generally the sport doesn’t go as you anticipate. It additionally depends upon the efficiency of the opponents. We didn’t play at our highest degree. We had been aggressive however did not enhance us.”
What does the outcome imply?
Qatar’s second defeat on the 2022 World Cup leaves them backside of Group A with out a level and, after the Netherlands and Ecuador drew 1-1, out of the competitors.
Within the last Group A matches, Qatar will face the Netherlands and Ecuador in opposition to Senegal on Tuesday at 15:00.
Qatar makes a powerful case for worst World Cup hosts
Sky Sports activities’ Laura Hunter:
“Host nation Qatar have crashed out of the World Cup after falling to one more embarrassing defeat. Senegal barely acquired out of third gear. There have been small crumbs of consolation; Qatar really upped their sport within the second half and created an affordable flurry of possibilities earlier than making a properly executed aim.
“However they’ll develop into the primary host nation to exit a World Cup event after enjoying simply two video games. Head coach Felix Sanchez put Qatar’s opening defeat right down to ‘nerves.'” There are not any excuses to melt the nastiness of this show.
“The Gulf state, which has come below a lot scrutiny and criticism off the pitch, had by no means certified for a World Cup event earlier than profitable the precise to host it 12 years in the past, and their footballing ineptitude has executed nothing to divert consideration from that truth. . The hole in high quality is just too huge. They throw the social gathering however are the primary to go away.”
Qatar makes historical past – Opta statistics
- Qatar has develop into the primary host nation to lose two matches in a single group stage of an version of the World Cup.
- Mohammed Muntari scored Qatar’s first World Cup aim in his second sport and from his twelfth shot.
- Qatar grew to become solely the third host nation to concede three targets in a single group stage match, following South Africa in 2010 and Russia in 2018 (each 3-0 defeats to Uruguay).
- Senegal grew to become the primary African staff to beat the host nation at a World Cup; the entire earlier 4 cases of an African facet dealing with the hosts had seen them lose by a mixed rating of 12–2.
#Qatar #Senegal #World #Cup #hosts #eradicated #defeat