Cleary Gottlieb has promoted nine partners, eight attorneys and six senior attorneys effective January 1, 2023.
The promotions will bring the firm’s total global partners to 176, attorneys to 60 and senior counsel to 46.
“We are proud to introduce our new class of senior attorneys,” said Cleary Managing Partner Michael Gerstenzang. “These talented attorneys reflect the breadth of expertise and geographic presence our clients seek, and have demonstrated their commitment to our firm’s values and culture. As new partners, counsel and senior counsel, they will continue our rich tradition of bringing together talented people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives to solve challenging problems for our clients worldwide.”
The new partners, lawyers and senior lawyers are based in the firm’s offices in Brussels, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Milan, New York, Paris, Rome and Washington, DC. Their areas of practice include antitrust, bankruptcy and restructuring, capital markets, corporate governance, debt financing, financial institutions, litigation and arbitration, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, tax and civil service defense and investigations.
Our new senior lawyers are:
- Laurie Achtouk-Spivak (Partner, Paris/Litigation and Arbitration) ― Laurie’s practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation, with a particular emphasis on public international law. She represents clients in commercial arbitrations as well as investors and sovereigns in investment treaty arbitrations before ICSID, ICC and other arbitral institutions, and frequently advises on investment structuring and sustainability issues. Her recent work includes matters for major corporations and sovereigns, including Greece, the Republic of Ivory Coast, the Republic of Iraq, the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Arab Republic of Egypt.
- Christopher Bachand-Parente (Senior Attorney, New York/Real Estate) ― Chris’s practice focuses on complex real estate transactions, including lender and borrower financing transactions, joint ventures, acquisitions and divestments and restructurings across a range of asset types. He has advised clients such as Hospitality Investors Trust, ESL Investments, Angelo Gordon, Genting Malaysia, Breaking Ground, Brookfield, Brooklyn Public Library, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase Bank, Banco Inbursa and Argent Ventures.
- Matthew Bachrack (Attorney, Washington, DC/Antitrust) ― Matthew’s practice focuses on antitrust matters. His work includes merger control, criminal and civil investigations, and antitrust advice, particularly with respect to the US and Asian antitrust regimes. He also has extensive experience in civil antitrust litigation in the United States. His representation includes matters for JUUL, Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile, Molson Coors and Leroy Seafood.
- Paolo Bertoli (Lawyer, Milan/Disputes and Arbitration) ― Paolo’s practice focuses on arbitration and litigation. He has acted in numerous international and domestic arbitrations involving complex commercial disputes as well as international law matters, and in commercial, securities and antitrust disputes in a variety of Italian courts; he has also acted as an arbitrator under the Milan Chamber of Arbitration Rules. He has recently represented clients such as ArcelorMittal, BNP Paribas, Danieli, Dover Corporation, Enel Group, TIM and Vale.
- Laura Birene (Lawyer, Paris/Capital Markets and Debt Finance) ― Laura’s practice focuses on corporate and financial matters, including financing and capital markets transactions. She has advised a range of clients including BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole, Crédit Lyonnais, JP Morgan, Latour Capital, Universal Music Group, Vivendi and Worldline.
- Fausto Carona (Lawyer, Rome/Antitrust) ― Fausto’s practice focuses on EU and Italian consumer and antitrust law. He advises clients on unfair business practices, misleading advertising, unfair contract terms and business-to-consumer agreements, as well as on abuse of dominance, cartels, restrictive practices and merger control procedures. His recent work includes matters for Assilea, Alba Leasing, Compass Banca, HP, Samsung, Santander Consumer Bank, Telecom Italia and Unipol.
- Sophie de Beer(Partner, Paris/M&A) ― Sophie’s practice focuses on French and European M&A transactions, involving both listed and non-listed companies. She has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships involving financial institutions, as well as in related banking and financial regulatory matters. She has represented a range of clients, including Amundi, BNP Paribas, BPCE, Cerberus, Crédit Agricole, GlobalFoundries, Groupama, JP Morgan, My Money Bank, Natixis and Veolia.
- Alessandro Gennarino (Senior lawyer, Milan/ Debt Finance) ― Alessandro’s practice focuses on international finance and corporate matters, including leveraged transactions, debt restructurings, mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. He has recently advised clients such as A2A, F2i, Goodyear, Sogefi and Warburg Pincus.
- Helena Grannis (Partner, New York/Capital Markets and Corporate Governance) ― Helena’s practice focuses on capital market transactions and corporate advisory matters. She handles domestic financial transactions for US and international clients, including IPOs and equity and debt issuances. She also advises companies on corporate governance issues, including disclosures, ESG issues, board composition and independence, proxy advice and shareholder engagement and strategy. Her recent clients have included Bed Bath & Beyond, Clorox, Honeywell and TPG.
- Alexander Janghorbani (Lawyer, New York/Litigation and Enforcement) ― Alex’s practice focuses on complex securities matters, litigation and enforcement, informed by nearly nine years at the SEC as an investigative staff attorney and senior trial counsel. His representations include matters for Petrobras, Garlinghouse, ING and OPKO Health.
- Thomas S. Kessler (Partner, New York/Bankruptcy and restructuring) ― Tom’s practice focuses on bankruptcy, restructuring and other complex civil litigation. He has represented a variety of clients, including debtors and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, and parties in restructuring-related proceedings, contractual disputes and securities disputes. His representations include matters for LATAM Airlines, Samarco Mineração, Garuda Indonesia, Apollo Management Holdings LP, Novonor, BNP Paribas, Overseas Shipholding Group, Warburg Pincus and Petrobras.
- Philip Kirst (Senior Lawyer, Cologne/Antitrust) ― Philipp’s practice focuses on European and German competition law, including cartels, abuse of dominance, merger control and all aspects of antitrust disputes. He has represented clients before the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office, as well as European and German courts. His recent work includes matters for BayWa, Beiersdorf, Broadcom, Google, Lundbeck, Nestlé and Western Digital.
- Wanjie Lin (Senior Lawyer, Brussels/Antitrust) ― Wanjie’s practice focuses on competition law, state aid and international trade law. She has written and spoken about the EU’s new regulation on foreign subsidies. Her recent work includes issues for Adevinta, NVIDIA, Illumina, Temasek, IBM and The Walt Disney Company.
- Brian Morris (Lawyer, New York/Financial Institutions) ― Brian’s practice focuses on US securities, commodities and derivatives regulations, including SEC and CFTC rules implementing the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. He regularly advises banks, broker-dealers, exchanges, electronic trading platforms, clearinghouses and corporate end-users on a variety of transactional, enforcement and financial regulatory matters. He has worked with, among others, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and Banco Santander.
- Susanna Parker (Partner, New York/Tax) ― Susanna’s practice focuses on tax matters, particularly for private equity and hedge funds, joint venture arrangements, acquisitions and divestitures (both domestic and international transactions), financing transactions and private client and family office matters. Her work includes matters for Sixth Street, KKR, TPG, Brookfield, The Raine Group, Viking and Coller Capital.
- Laura Prosperetti (Lawyer, Rome/Financial Institutions) ― Laura’s practice focuses on EU and Italian banking and finance laws and regulations. She advises clients on a range of regulatory and transactional matters, including compliance matters linked to the implementation of EU financial regulatory reforms, regulatory reviews and mergers and acquisitions of regulated entities. Her recent representations include matters for Euronext, F2i Sgr, Groupama, HP and Worldline.
- Chrishan Raja (Partner, London/Capital Markets) ― Chrishan’s practice focuses on international capital markets, with a particular focus on equity and debt transactions (including bank capital), corporate governance and ongoing reporting. Chrishan has experience from a range of jurisdictions, including the UK, Europe and the Middle East. He has recently advised on matters for ACG Acquisition Company (a London listed SPAC), Barclays, Citigroup, JP Morgan and UBS.
- Andres Saenz (Senior Counsel, New York, Civil Servant Defense and Investigations, Civil Litigation) ― Andre’s practice focuses on civil servant defense, regulatory affairs, compliance programs, and complex civil litigation, particularly with respect to cross-border matters. His representations include matters for Petrobras, Vale and BNDES.
- Naomi Tarawali (Partner, London/Litigation and Arbitration) ― Naomi’s practice focuses on international dispute resolution. She has represented financial institutions, companies, funds and sovereigns in their most complex and challenging disputes, involving litigation, arbitration and mediation, and always spanning multiple jurisdictions. She has advised a range of clients including Goldman Sachs, Mubadala, Natixis and Vale.
- Sophie Troussard-Fauré (Senior Lawyer, Paris/Antitrust) ― Sophie’s practice focuses on EU and French competition law, including merger control, cartel investigations and related litigation. She has experience in a range of sectors, including aerospace, consumer goods and manufacturing. Her recent representations include matters for Airbus, Tech Data, Elsan, Ortec, Vivendi and Whirlpool.
- Mirko von Bieberstein (Partner, Frankfurt/M&A) ― Mirko’s practice focuses on domestic and cross-border M&A, joint ventures and general corporate law. He also advises on German foreign direct investment reviews, represents clients from a variety of sectors before the German authorities and provides related strategic advice. His recent work includes matters for Albany, Broadcom, DCC, Henkel, Merck, OpenText, and a major UAE sovereign wealth fund.
- Carina Wallance (Lawyer, New York/Bankruptcy and restructuring) ― Carina’s business focuses primarily on cross-border restructuring in Latin America and other growth markets, but also includes corporate finance, leveraged finance, crisis finance and project finance. She has advised on matters for LATAM Airlines, Garuda, Aeromexico, Grupo Posadas and OEC.
- Miao Zhang (Partner, Hong Kong/Capital Markets) ― Miao’s practice focuses on equity capital market transactions, including IPOs on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, pre-IPO investments and PIPE transactions involving Hong Kong-listed clients. Her recent representations include matters for Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Temasek, H World Group, Hansoh Pharmaceutical, OneConnect and Topsports.
#Cleary #Gottlieb #names #partners #attorneys #senior #counsel