Australia dumped Denmark out of the World Cup after Mathew Leckie’s strike earned them a 1-0 win and qualification for the final 16 for the primary time since 2006.
Australia knew a draw would see them be part of Group D winners France within the knockout levels, offered Tunisia didn’t beat France, whereas Denmark needed to win to have any probability of progressing.
Denmark dominated the primary interval however their lack of ability to attain left Australia heading in the right direction to qualify till Tunisia took the lead in opposition to the world champions via Wahbi Khazri.
That purpose moved Tunisia to second in Group D quickly till Leckie weaved into the Denmark space and completed previous Kasper Schmeichel (60) as Australia moved again into second, and a resolute defensive show ensured it was not relinquished.
Australia now face Argentina on Saturday (kick-off 7pm), who completed prime of Group C after a 2-0 win over Poland.
Australia: Ryan (7), Degenek (6), Souttar (8), Rowles (6), Behich (7), Irvine (6), Mooy (6), Leckie (8), McGree (6), Goodwin (6), Duke (6).
Subs: Wright (5), Baccus (6), Hrustic (n/a), Maclaren (n/a).
Denmark: Schmeichel (5), Kristensen (5), Andersen (5), Christensen (5), Maehle (5), Hojbjerg (6), Jensen (6), Eriksen (6), Skov Olsen (6), Lindström (6) Braithwaite (4).
Subs: Bah (6), Damsgaard (5), Dolberg (5), Cornelius (5), Skov (5).
Participant of the match: Mathew Leckie
How Australia dumped Denmark to achieve the final 16
Huge moments within the sport…
- 12 min: Mat Ryan brilliantly ideas Mathias Jensen’s drive from a good angle over the bar
- 22 min: Riley McGree’s formidable volley forces a primary save from Kasper Schmeichel
- 60 minutes: Mathew Leckie weaves into the Denmark space and scores seconds after information of Tunisia taking the lead in opposition to France
- 71 min: Denmark get a penalty after Kasper Dolberg is introduced down however the determination is overturned resulting from offside
With the Socceroos beginning the day in second place due to their win over Tunisia, the onus was on Denmark to assault. The Danes had been initially constructive, dominating possession in opposition to a crew 28 locations under them within the FIFA world rankings, solely to be pissed off in a forgettable opening interval.
Australia goalkeeper Mathew Ryan tipped over from Mathias Jensen and unconventionally turned away a harmful cross from marauding left-back Joakim Maehle, whereas Christian Eriksen pulled an effort large.
Whereas Australia remained compact, Middlesbrough’s Riley McGree examined Schmeichel throughout a uncommon strive going ahead to point out they may trigger issues on the counter.
The sample of play continued into the second interval earlier than a purpose within the different Group D match left either side at risk.
- Milos Degenek changed Fran Karacic in Australia’s solely change to the crew that beat Tunisia on Saturday.
- Denmark made three adjustments to the crew that had been overwhelmed 2-0 by France as Martin Braithwaite, Andreas Skov Olsen and Mathias Jensen returned.
Information of Tunisian striker Khazri opening the scoring in opposition to France appeared to have filtered via to the Al Janoub Stadium simply earlier than Leckie latched on to McGree’s via ball to race clear and end with aplomb.
Denmark wanted at the very least two targets to keep away from an early exit from Qatar, however with their lack of leading edge, even an equalizer appeared unlikely.
Australia endured a significant scare 19 minutes from time when substitute Kasper Dolberg fell within the field earlier than the penalty determination was rapidly overturned.
The spirited Socceroos, impressively led by Scotland-born centre-back Harry Souttar, defended doggedly and deservedly survived six minutes of added time to upset the Euro 2020 semi-finalists and march on.
Historical past of Australia – Opta statistics
- Australia have gained back-to-back World Cup matches for the primary time, whereas progressing from the competitors’s group stage for less than the second time in six event appearances (additionally 2006).
- Denmark have been eradicated within the World Cup group stage for less than the second time (additionally in 2010), whereas it’s the first time they’ve misplaced consecutive group stage matches within the event.
- Australia are the third crew to progress from the primary spherical group stage of the World Cup to have each misplaced and conceded 4+ targets of their opening match of the event, following Yugoslavia in 1990 and Ukraine in 2006.
- Australia have saved clear sheets in consecutive World Cup matches for the primary time. Certainly, that they had solely saved clear sheets of their first 17 video games within the competitors previous to this run.
- Goalkeeper Mat Ryan each made (39) and accomplished (24) extra passes than every other Australian participant in opposition to Denmark.
What the end result means
Australia’s second World Cup win in Qatar sees them end second in Group D on six factors, behind group winners France on purpose distinction. Denmark’s disappointing marketing campaign ends with them backside of the group with only one level.
Australia’s reward is a last-16 tie in opposition to Group C winners Argentina on Saturday (kick-off 7pm).
What the boss stated…
Socceroos coach Graham Arnold thinks the crew that fought its well beyond Denmark and into World Cup Wednesday’s final 16 has a case to be thought of the brand new ‘golden era’ of Australian soccer.
“I am simply so pleased with the gamers, the work ethic, the dedication, the combat that that they had and the best way they performed,” Arnold stated.
“I am simply so proud that we have been in a position to put smiles on folks’s faces, it is the primary time ever that an Australian crew has gained two video games in a row within the World Cup.
“Perhaps we’re speaking a few new golden era now, as a result of now we have listened and heard concerning the golden era in 2006, which bought 4 factors and now now we have six.”
Participant of the Match – Mathew Leckie
Mathew Leckie scored his 14th purpose for Australia in all competitions (first within the World Cup), at the very least 5 greater than every other participant within the Socceroos World Cup squad.
#Australia #Denmark #Mathew #Leckie #strike #seals #World #Cup #last16 #spot #Danes #packing